TESOL Master’s Degree
APU’s Master of Arts in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) provides comprehensive preparation in English language teaching for those seeking careers in U.S.-based institutions or schools around the world. In the program, current and aspiring educators learn alongside expert faculty who are motivated to serve God and their students, helping them gain the competencies and perspectives needed to teach English in a manner marked by professional excellence and intercultural sensitivity. Three TESOL programs with distinct formats are available for a personalized learning experience: on campus in Azusa, online, or field-based while teaching abroad.
In all formats, students develop a theoretical foundation along with practical preparation for diverse teaching scenarios and environments. Graduates leave the program prepared to become exemplary classroom teachers committed to continued professional development within a variety of contexts.
The TESOL master’s degree program offers coursework and seminars in language acquisition theory, English grammar and pronunciation, intercultural communication and sociolinguistics, language teaching methods and materials development, observation and practice in classroom teaching, language assessment, program design, and language-development research. Every class blends a Christ-centered approach to service in the field with strong academic preparation and practical training in language teaching.
APU also offers two certificate programs, the 18-unit Certificate in TESOL and the 6-unit Certificate in TEFL, both offered in on-campus, online, and field-based formats.
TESOL Program Highlights
- Learn from faculty with extensive international and U.S. experience who frequently present scholarship in their areas of expertise.
- Choose your preferred study format—on campus, online, or field-based—and take up to four courses in another format for a customized learning experience.
- Select electives that fit your interests and career goals, such as the intersection of faith and English language teaching or language learning and technology.
- Complete practicum experiences in your desired locale, including the Los Angeles area or abroad during a faculty-led study away experience or with partner schools.
- Receive a $500 travel award to attend and present at international conferences alongside peers and faculty.
Learn more about our faculty and meet our graduates, part of a network of TESOL alumni who have served around the globe in 41 countries.
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Accreditation
Azusa Pacific University receives accreditation from the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC).
Azusa Pacific University secured a place in the most prestigious category of U.S. News & World Report’s America’s Best Colleges 2016 rankings, placing in Tier One at No. 175 in the National Universities category. In addition, The Princeton Review named APU as 1 of 124 institutions in the 2016 Best Colleges in the West, and G.I. Jobs named APU a Military Friendly School for 2016, placing APU among the top 15 percent of schools in the country helping military students reach their educational dreams.