TRIO Student Support Services
Helping First-Generation Students
TRIO Student Support Services provides first-generation college students and others who demonstrate academic need with support as they navigate the college journey. The program offers support services and resources in a positive, engaging environment to help students navigate college, build their sense of belonging and confidence, and strengthen their self-efficacy.
What is TRIO Student Support Services?
TRIO Student Support Services is federally funded through the U.S. Department of Education and provides opportunities for academic development to motivate students toward successful completion of postsecondary education. Services are available for first-generation students, those from low-income families, and those with disabilities requiring learning accommodations—all of whom demonstrate academic need. Through its services, the program aim to increase the college retention and graduation rates of its participants.
- Academic success coaching with support for your Academic Support Achievement Plan
- Advising and assistance in postsecondary course selection
- Information and assistance with applying for financial aid
- Education services designed to improve financial and economic literacy
- Workshops on a variety of helpful topics such as study skills, learning styles, financial literacy, applying for scholarships, and stress management
- Exposure to cultural events and academic programs
- Academic tutoring and supplemental instruction
- Career counseling, career exploration workshops, and assessments
- Workshop from APU’s Counseling Center on available services and navigating college social life
- Professional development and leadership opportunities, including an Etiquette Dinner and the Achieve Series Conference
- Priority registration
Students must apply to become part of TRIO Student Support Services. View the criteria and how to apply.
Build your path to graduation with APU’s new student success platform, Stellic. Visit stellic.apu.edu today!