5 Scholarships for College That Can Cut Your Education Expenses
When you’re evaluating how much your college education will cost, you’re probably looking at the sticker price. But that number can be misleading—at Azusa Pacific University, most students pay less than that amount. In fact, 100 percent of APU students receive some form of financial aid.
Scholarships for college are the most desirable type of financial aid because you don’t need to pay them back. Unfortunately, a lot of students don’t apply for them. That could be because they don’t know the scholarships exist, aren’t sure how to apply, or think they won’t qualify.
Many scholarships for incoming first-year students and transfer students are available at APU, and getting them might be easier than you think. Here are five to consider.
1. Academic Scholarships
APU offers academic scholarships to incoming first-year students or transfer students based on academic qualifications and transfer units.
- Amount: $12,000 to $23,000 per year, renewable for four years
- Qualifications: Depending on your GPA and SAT or ACT scores, you may qualify for the Mary Hill Award, Director’s Scholarship, Deans’ Scholarship, Provost’s Scholarship, or President’s Scholarship. You can fill out an online form with your GPA to see your estimated scholarship amount.
- How to apply: You’re considered for academic scholarships as part of your application to APU.
- When to apply: By Feb. 15, 2023
2. Trustees’ Scholarships
Trustees’ Scholarships are awarded to seven students who have demonstrated high academic achievement and will strive to maintain APU’s mission during their studies and in their careers.
- Amount: Full tuition, renewable for four years
- Qualifications: You need to be an incoming first-year student with a weighted GPA of 3.9 on a 4.0 scale or be ranked in the top 5 percent of your class. You should also be involved in school or community activities.
- How to apply: Complete the application as part of the general application for APU, submit a personal essay, and provide two letters of reference.
- When to apply: By Nov. 15, 2022
3. Multi-Ethnic Leadership Scholarships
APU’s Student Center for Reconciliation and Diversity offers Multi-Ethnic Leadership (MEL) Scholarships to incoming first-year students who are committed to thinking critically, advocating for others, applying their Christian faith, and working toward social justice.
- Amount: $11,000 per year ($5,500 per semester)
- Qualifications: To apply, you’ll need to be committed to your Christian faith, have a GPA of 3.2 or higher, show a passion for promoting multicultural awareness and racial reconciliation, and demonstrate proven leadership skills.
- How to apply: Fill out the MEL Scholarship application online. If you’re selected for the final round, you’ll have an on-campus or Zoom interview.
- When to apply: By Feb. 17, 2023
4. Math and Physics Fellowships
The Math and Physics Fellowships are awarded to two incoming first-year students who are studying for a four-year degree in applied mathematics, mathematics, or physics.
- Amount: Up to $3,000 per year ($1,500 per semester)
- Qualifications: Your GPA, SAT, or ACT scores; the math and science classes you’ve taken; and your background, interest, and career goals are considered as part of the application. In addition, if you’re selected, you’ll need to meet the fellowship guidelines.
- How to apply: Fill out the Math and Physics Fellowship application online.
- When to apply: By May 15, 2023
5. Post-9/11 Yellow Ribbon Award
The Yellow Ribbon Award is a matching program between the Veterans Affairs (VA) and universities.
- Amount: Up to $14,000 per year from APU in addition to the GI Bill and the VA’s portion of the Yellow Ribbon Award
- Qualifications: You must be certified as eligible with the VA and APU’s VA certifying official.
- How to apply: Submit your eligibility request to the VA and complete your application by contacting APU’s VA certifying official.
- When to apply: March 15 to May 15, 2023 (anticipated)
These are just a few of the scholarships for college APU offers to make higher education more affordable for students. Learn more about scholarships for athletes, musicians, theater majors, and others.
Posted: November 21, 2022