Study Higher Education Leadership at Azusa Pacific University
Program at a Glance
The School of Behavioral and Applied Sciences equips students for compassionate leadership in fields like physical therapy, social work, and psychology, guided by experienced faculty and hands-on learning.
- Applications for the new doctoral cohort that begins in May are reviewed as received
- Priority Deadline: January 31
- Regular Deadline: April 1
Cost per Unit
- Online: Low Residence at Azusa (Main Campus)
Gain Hands-on Experience
- Learn from faculty who are active and committed to student success.
- Experience a strengths-based approach to teaching, learning, and research.
- Learn through a cohort model designed for working professionals in higher education.
By the Numbers
The Doctor of Education in Higher Education Leadership is a 51-unit degree program, inclusive of dissertation. The program develops professional educators and leaders who are able to apply their knowledge in order to improve educational practice primarily at the institutional level. The dissertation for the EdD is a culminating research project utilizing a three-year cycle model of action research beginning in the first year.
Browse the tabs below—if you have questions, visit the Student Services Center page, and we’ll make sure you get the info you need.
Applications for the new doctoral cohort that begins in May are reviewed as received.
Priority Deadline: January 31
Regular Deadline: April 1
Note: Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and are accepted until the new cohort has been finalized.
Admission Requirements—Domestic Applicants
The university graduate and program admission requirements below must be met before an application is considered complete.
Successful applicants to the Department of Higher Education normally have several years of full-time work experience in a college or university setting when applying for the EdD or PhD program. The theory-to-practice design of the three years of coursework assumes that students are working in a higher education setting throughout their doctoral studies.
Applicants must possess:
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Master’s degree, preferably in higher education or a related field, from a regionally accredited institution
- Minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale. (Provisional admittance may be granted to individuals who do not meet this criteria if competency can be shown.)
Applicants must submit:
- Graduate application for admission
- $45 nonrefundable application fee
- Official transcripts from all institutions leading to and awarding the applicant’s
bachelor’s and master’s degrees from a regionally accredited institution and all postbaccalaureate
An official transcript is one that Azusa Pacific University receives unopened in an envelope sealed by the former institution and that bears the official seal of the college or university. A cumulative minimum 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) grade-point average on the posted degree is required for regular admission status. Provisional admittance may be granted to individuals with a lower GPA if competency can be shown through multiple measures.
- Two recommendation forms. (Additional letters of recommendation on letterhead are also accepted). One reference letter should address the applicant’s ability to undertake doctoral-level academic work and the other one should serve as a reference of the applicant’s professional abilities and potential.
- Current resume
- Letter of intent, double-spaced, describing educational goals as well as short-term and long-term professional goals. The Letter of Intent should also articulate one’s current job setting and responsibilities, current interests, why and how APU’s EdD program fits the applicant’s personal and professional goals, potential research interests, and what the applicant anticipates contributing to the incoming cohort of 12-15 doctoral students.
- Writing sample that demonstrates the applicant’s ability to think critically and write cogently, using research and professional literature effectively in developing ideas and arguments (e.g., a master’s thesis, a scholarly article published in a journal, or a comprehensive course paper).
- Other evidence of potential for leadership as the applicant desires
Upon invitation, doctoral applicants complete an interview with at least one member of the doctoral faculty. The purpose of the interview is to meet the candidate, discuss career goals, evaluate the compatibility of the program to the student, and ascertain, at least initially, the applicant's potential for success in the doctoral program.
Students must bring a laptop computer to campus for all coursework. The SPSS statistical software package is required of students in their research courses throughout the program. The Campus Store makes arrangements to enable students to purchase computers and software at economical rates on convenient terms. Often, the required purchase of the laptop and software can be budgeted into student loans. For further information, please contact with the Student Services Center, at (626) 815-2020.
What to Expect
After all admission materials have been received by the Student Services Center, the faculty or department chair reviews the applicant’s file. The applicant is notified in writing of the admission decision.
Admission Requirements—International Applicants
This program is not open to F-1 or J-1 international students, because the low-residency format doesn’t meet the full time face-to-face requirement set by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. If you are an international student who does not require a F-1 or J-1 visa, you may be considered for this program.
To apply for a graduate program at APU, the following requirements must be fulfilled in addition to meeting the domestic applicant and program-specific admission requirements specified above.
International applicants must also:
- Demonstrate proficiency in English through a TOEFL/IELTS score that meets program-specific requirements. Refer to APU’s English proficiency requirements to learn more. Request that official test scores be sent to APU. All other forms of proof indicated in the English proficiency requirements must be submitted directly to the International Services.
- Submit a copy of a valid passport showing biographical data, including your name, country of citizenship, date of birth, and other legal information.
International applicants send official transcripts to:
Azusa Pacific University
901 E. Alosta Ave.
PO Box 7000
Azusa, CA 91702-7000
What to Expect
After the International Center receives all transcripts, a committee of department faculty reviews the applicant’s file. The applicant is then notified of the committee’s decision within approximately two weeks.
Delivering high-quality graduate programs takes a comprehensive support system. Your investment in an advanced degree includes those services and personnel that partner with you in pursuit of higher education. Below is a detailed breakdown of the fees associated with the benefits and services included in your degree program.
|EdD in Higher Education Leadership, 2022 cohort (per unit)||$1,140|
|PhD in Higher Education, 2022 cohort (per unit)||$1,230|
View a complete list of university fees.
All stated financial information is subject to change. Contact the Student Services Center at (626) 815-2020 for more information.
Guaranteed Tuition Plan
Doctoral education is expensive nationwide, and annual tuition increases make it difficult to plan financially. The Guaranteed Tuition Plan addresses this issue by guaranteeing that your tuition rate will not increase as long as you follow the prescribed sequence of courses each year with your cohort. The plan provides a great incentive to finish the program on time.
How the plan works
Those students who complete the required number of units expected annually of their cohort pay the same tuition rate each year they are enrolled in the program. Their tuition rate is frozen at the guaranteed rate as long as they complete the required number of units annually.
- Students travel internationally the second year. All in-country costs of this trip are included in the program tuition, but students are responsible for their international airfare.
- Housing, transportation, and meal costs during the June intensives for the first and third years. The June intensive during the second year is the international travel.
Several types of financial aid are available to graduate students. The resources range from federal loans and state grants to, for some graduate programs, fellowships and scholarships. For details about financial aid available for your program, please contact the Student Services Center at (626) 815-2020.
Military members—and in some cases their spouses and dependents—qualify for financial assistance covering tuition, housing, and books. Azusa Pacific is a Yellow Ribbon University and Military Friendly School, so you can be confident that you’ll receive the benefits and flexibility you need to complete your education.
CCCU Employees Tuition Discount
In support of institutions affiliated with the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities (CCCU), APU offers a 10 percent tuition discount for the EdD in Higher Education Leadership or the PhD in Higher Education program to any full-time faculty member or administrator of any CCCU-affiliated institution. The amount of institutional aid is subject to coordination with federal, state, and institutional regulations, which may result in a reduction of this benefit. For more information, contact the department at [email protected].
Plus One Discount
If two or more students from the same institution enroll in the same higher education cohort in the same year, each one is eligible to receive a 10% tuition discount. For more information, contact the department at [email protected].
To view specific requirements and coursework information, visit the current academic
If you have questions, we’re here to help! Connect with a representative who can walk you through the program details and application process.
Additional Program Contact
Kandy Mink Salas, PhD, program director, [email protected], (626) 815-5584
Department of Higher Education
Azusa Pacific University
PO Box 7000
Azusa, CA 91702-7000
Student Services Center
Azusa Pacific University is accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC).
Career Outlook and Outcomes
Karen Longman Receives Prestigious Fulbright Award
Karen Longman, PhD, recently received a prestigious Fulbright award for the 2023-24 academic year where she will share her expertise on higher education leadership at LCC International University in Lithuania.