Full-Tuition Scholarships Awarded Annually
This award recognizes scholars who have consistently demonstrated high academic achievement and will perpetuate the mission of Azusa Pacific University during their academic studies and later in their chosen careers. To fulfill this purpose, seven annually renewable, full-tuition scholarships are available to assist deserving students in achieving success in their academic, spiritual, and personal development.
Applicants must meet all of the requirements listed below:
- First-time freshman applicant to Azusa Pacific University
- Minimum high school weighted grade-point average (GPA) of 3.9 on a 4.0 scale or ranked in the top five percent of high school graduating class
- Demonstrated involvement in school or community-related activities
- Completed Application for Undergraduate Admission postmarked by November 15, 2022
If you do not meet the applicant qualifications for the Trustees’ Scholarship, we encourage you to explore our other academic merit scholarship options.
- Complete the Trustees’ Scholarship Application as a part of the general application for admission to APU. This will include an essay from the prompt provided in the application. If you already applied to APU, but you missed the Trustees’ Application section, download the Trustees’ Scholarship Application (PDF) and complete it by November 15, 2022. Be sure to secure both letters of reference at the end of the application and have those submitted by November 15, 2022, as well.
- Write and submit a personal essay using the prompt below:
Martin Luther King Jr. wrote, “Intelligence plus character—that is the goal of true education.” Write an essay in which you explore the elements of intelligence and character, recount those experiences and influences that have contributed most to your intellectual and moral development, and anticipate how those two traits might further your college and career goals. The personal essay should be computer-generated or typed. Text should be double-spaced with one-inch margins at the top, bottom, left, and right. Preferred font size is 10- or 12-point. All paragraphs should be indented five spaces. Essays should not exceed three pages. The personal essay should be stapled (upper left corner) to the application form.
Essays will be evaluated based on competence in creativity, personal expression, and clarity of thought.
- Secure two letters of reference:
- One personal recommendation from someone who can comment on the applicant’s character and service. To do this, download the Personal Reference Form (PDF), and complete all fields on the first page. Save a copy of the PDF and send it to your chosen reference.
- One academic recommendation from a teacher in an academic core course. To do this, download the Academic Reference Form (PDF), and complete all fields on the first page. Save a copy of the PDF and send it to your chosen reference.
Please do not exceed the number of references requested.
Recipients will be eligible for an award up to the amount of annual tuition for a maximum of four years or completion of a bachelor’s degree, whichever comes first. The total scholarship award is not to exceed the direct cost of tuition and applies to study completed at the APU campus.
The scholarship is renewable for recipients maintaining a minimum course load of 12 units with a 3.0 cumulative GPA at the end of each academic year. Any recipient who does not meet the minimum renewal standards will be required to meet with the Admissions Committee and may be subject to removal from the program and loss of future funds. In addition to representing the institution at various functions, recipients may be required to participate in an internship and/or research project in their area of study.
The completed Application for Undergraduate Admission as well as the Trustees’ Scholarship application and all supporting materials for both applications, including references, must be submitted online or postmarked on or before November 15, 2022. If submitting the Trustee Scholarship application by mail, send all items to:Trustees’ Scholarship Committee
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Azusa Pacific University
PO Box 7000
Azusa, CA 91702-7000
Scholarship finalists and two guests will be invited to campus for various events, including personal interviews, February 15-18, 2023. Administration and faculty will be in attendance. All finalists must be on campus for the duration of February 15, 16, 17, and 18 to be considered. Travel expenses for the student will be paid by the university for any travel within the United States. Committee decisions on scholarship recipients will be announced by telephone and/or letter no later than April 1, 2023.
Azusa Pacific University would like to extend a special invitation to all Trustees’ Scholarship applicants to apply for admission into the APU Honors College. Refer to the Personal Statement section of the scholarship application for information on how to streamline the Honors College application process.
Note: Please remember, in order to be considered for this scholarship, students must submit a completed Application for Undergraduate Admission, including all supporting materials, by November 15, 2022. Whether submitting online or by mail, the student is ultimately responsible for providing all application materials and references by the above deadlines. If you mail your application, we strongly suggest that all materials be mailed two weeks in advance of the postmark deadlines. If any item does not arrive on time, the applicant will not be considered for the scholarship. A certificate of mailing will be the only substitute document accepted for any missing or late items.